Thursday, September 09, 2004

Will Scandals Never Cease? and other things

I'm simultaneously exhausted and exhilirated by the waves of scandals revealing the total mendacity and corruption of our boy president. Despite "Texans for Truth" and other revelations, it seems increasingly that the truth doesn't matter to many Americans. That's not what I wanted to write about though.
The other day, I was googling Chip Berlet, the researcher who did so much for the Anti-Racist Action network back in the 90s and found this article on the principled ways of dealing with sectarian leftists, etc. in mass organizations.
http://resistinc.org/newsletter/issues/1999/12/berlet.html

He writes particularly about the bad practice of block voting by cadre organizations. When I left L&R during the split in 1998, I remember thinking (and telling people) that I thought that it had been very difficult to be a participant in good faith in mass organizations while also beholden to the idea that one must find the correct revolutionary position and argue it vociferously, always putting L&R first. I voted strongly against making L&R a cadre organization back then, as people debated our future, and I lost. So, I left the organization, which I thought was becoming increasingly irrelevant to other movements and incapable of doing the least bit of productive work, much less bringing on the revolution. This article on sectarians and mass orgs was useful and a little less personally charged.

No comments: