Saturday, September 17, 2005

Anxiety Index, part two: More Where that Came From

I could call the whole blog the "anxiety index." Yesterday, as I was standing on the corner waiting for the crosstown bus on 23rd street, I had such a feeling of contentment. "I live in New York City," I thought, "I have an interesting job...my family is here." What else could I ask for? That sense of contentment had increased that day because of my joyful return to two-wheeled travel, at least within my home borough.(I haven't ever gone on a critical mass ride, though I have witnessed many, and now that my bike is oiled and adjusted after a five year stint in my father's garage, it's more likely by the week). And then I had a sad thought, as happy as I am now, I know that this existence is precarious and doomed. We have met the enemy and he is us.
Read Common Dreams' story on global warming and hurricanes.

No comments: