Monday, September 05, 2005

Latest News on Houston and Efforts for Katrina Victims

My room-mate needs to use the internet, so just a quick few links.

I got a link in my email this evening about a new website called White Washing the Black Storm: We Are Watching." This is providing great info from Houston and has updates about what's needed and how to help out. I think it's one of the best blogs about the Katrina aftermath. It's the only place I've seen information about what's going on in the Astrodome, which apparently, has kept the press out quite successfully. (note to readers: some of the reason I haven't seen that news is that I was out and about today... scroll down for pictures from Brooklyn in a state of great happiness)

The same person who forwarded me that link also indicated that he thinks the time is now to build a grassroots call for a "9/11 type investigation" into the completely criminally negligent handling of this storm. I agree.

Some of you may have heard about the "New Orleans Hospitality Workers Disaster Relief Fund." This fund for workers from New Orleans' tourist industry seems like a great idea, although I am not entirely sure who's running it. (Brennan's restaurant, possibly) Here is the info :
New Orleans Hospitality Workers Disaster Relief Fund

A fund has also been established to benefit employees of the hospitality industry of the Greater New Orleans area who have experienced hardships because of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Contributions may be sent to:

New Orleans Hospitality Workers Disaster Relief Fund
Greater Houston Community Foundation
4550 Post Oak Place, Suite 100
Houston, TX 77027
Call 713-333-2200 for additional information.

While I was searching for that, I found this website, "Looka!" a New Orleans music/culture blog, that is doing an admirable job of reporting on the status of New Orleans' musicians, as well as providing pictures and stories you won't here in the msm...such as "Looters" who distributed groceries to crowds.
Looka! also has a lot of great links and comments on the news.

And now, gotta go.

No comments: