Monday, January 09, 2006

Pet Peeves: Open Thread

I was reading the NY Times editorial page today and found Stanley Fish's "questions" for Judge Alito's confirmation hearings and had a moment of peevishness. Perhaps it can be pardoned on the NYT editorial page, and Fish's explanations of the decisions he's citing are helpful to the uninformed reader, but the length of these questions reminded me of just how much I hate it when people use the opportunity to ask a question as an opportunity to show off. Better examples than Stanley Fish's questions in today's NYT can be found at the average academic lecture, where professors will typically ask a "question" beginning with, "What you say is very interesting, because I'm working on...."
rrggh.
Any pet peeves out there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought Fish's questions were pretty interesting!